Are you interested in biodiversity, ecosystem functions and services of grasslands? Would you like to think about the pros and cons of different modelling approaches, to quantify the uncertainties that arise from these approaches and to integrate your findings into economic decision models of natural capital values? And would you like to work in an inter- and transdisciplinary team? Then, we might have the right position for you!
The new BMBF-funded project ValuGaps responds to the need for comprehensive values of natural capital and biodiversity for societal decision-making. Our aim is to quantify information gaps and uncertainties and to find out how to scale, transfer, and bridge different types of values. For our contribution to the project we are looking for a postdoc, who is interested the functioning of grasslands and the evaluation of ecosystem services using different quantitative methods, such as data-driven approaches and bio-physical modelling.
You would be part of our Theoretical Ecology group at FU Berlin. In our group, we typically use process-based simulation models at different spatial scales to understand the dynamics and biodiversity of ecosystems. The aim is to improve our understanding of ecosystems and to assess potential impacts of global change on biodiversity and ecosystem functions. For this project, you would closely collaborate with our project partners from different research institutions, but also from Federal Agencies.
- Comparison of different methodological approaches to assess ecosystem services and their uncertainties
- Nation-wide quantification of ecosystem services (including their resilience to disturbance and their uncertainties) of grasslands in Germany using different approaches
- Integration of the findings into economic models (with partners from ecological economics)
- Definition of management scenarios jointly with project partners and stakeholders
- Evaluation, interpretation and publication of research results
- Establishment of and participation in inter- and transdisciplinary scientific collaborations
- Presentation of project results and participation in project reports
- (Co-)Supervision of Bachelor and Master theses within the project
- MSc/Diploma or PhD in biology, geo-ecology, system science or a related field
- Focus of your past and on-going research on vegetation or ecosystem modelling or on advanced statistical modelling of habitats
- Strong skills in statistical analyses of data and/or simulation results, preferably in R
- Strong publication record on topics related to vegetation ecology or ecosystem functions/services
- Interest in close inter- and transdisciplinary cooperation within ValuGaps
For further information, please contact Britta Tietjen (email@example.com). The position will start as soon as possible with a deadline for applications on the 14.02.2022 (please also check the official German job announcement). Payment is according to the German public tariff (100% TV-L E13). Applications should be submitted via email, and preferably as single pdf-file to Prof. Dr. Britta Tietjen, Theoretical Ecology, Freie Universität Berlin: firstname.lastname@example.org) with the identifier 21221100/ValuGaps2022. Applications should include a letter of motivation (1 page) and a summary of your past research experience in relation to the position (1 page), a CV, contact details of two references, transcripts or degree certificates including grades and proofs of special qualifications. Freie Universität Berlin is an equal opportunity employer and specifically encourages female candidates to apply. Disabled persons will be preferred in case of equal qualification.
*The appointment will initially run until 31.10.2024, but with the potential to run for a full three years.